Run a Question and Answer Google Hangout – Use Cameraman Plugin
On Wednesday, I ran a question and answer show to help people with podcasting. A few people asked how I did that. I further got some email asking how a Q&A session could be achieved.
I put together this how to video on using Hangouts to answer questions. I also bring in another plugin for Hangouts called Cameraman – being able to loose the Hangout look.
Along with Wirecast as a camera you could put together a show and nobody would know its a hangout.
How to Run a Question and Answer Show with Hangouts – Adding the Cameraman Plugin
First of all, you need to do a Hangout on Air. After all – how else do you get people to ask questions if the hangout is private?
- Go to http://plus.google.com (create an account or sign in)
- On the drop down menu, choose Hangouts on Air
- Select “Start a Hangout On Air”
- Name your Hangout and add any co-hosts or guests
- On the left panel you will see a list of apps. Choose “Cameraman”
- Select options you want to use. The second option turns off the “hangout” look.
- Select Question and Answer. It will state you must have it turned on BEFORE you start the stream.
- Start your show.
Something to Think About
The more the computer has to work, the worse the quality of the show. Make sure your computer can handle a hangout with quality and a good Internet connection. When you add different applications (like the Q&A app), it takes up more computer process.
The end result is a decent show where you can involve others and get instant gratification or feedback. You can then take the video from YouTube and add any post editing. If you select the video in Google +, you will have all the questions on the side.